Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cooking Craze

I have had a lot more time on my hands lately to cook, bake, and brew. With Kyle gone I  have been able to play with a few recipes, and if it goes south I only have Mali as my witness! Wednesdays are my day off so I usually make myself a large dinner, with leftovers for the week. I LOVE leftovers. I'm not a huge sweets fan, so whatever I end up baking doesn't get eaten that quick. I will usually take a batch to work, the neighbors, or make something that I can send to Kyle too!

A dessert I made last week was a pan of Pumpkin Spice Bars from the winter edition of the Southern Living cookbook (sold @ Dillard's, all proceeds go to Ronald McDonald ;) ). They were SO delish, but I can only eat a little one at a time.

The middle of the bar is 1/2 a can of pumpkin pie filling, cream cheese, brown sugar, and vanilla. I do not like Pumpkin Pie at all, never have, never will. But with the other ingredients mixed with it, it helped the texture of the pie filling be more appetizing. Texture...that's a whole other topic to discuss. If it has a soft, fluffy, creamy, or jello feeling---I don't touch it!
Pumpkin Spice Bar Rating: 8

For dinner one night last week, out of the SL cookbook, I made Mexican Lasagna. Basically Lasagna with tortillas and your mexican twist. It called for Pinto Beans, I used Black Beans. I added onion to the hamburger too. Next time I'll add Taco Seasoning to the hamburger. Otherwise it was AMAZING.....the first couple times. Then the tortillas became soggy. Lets just say 1/4 of it is in the trashcan.
Mexican Lasagna Rating: 9

Lastnight I made Peanut Butter Crunch Bars! Basically a different version of Rice Krispy Treats. These were SO good!!
Don't worry I haven't ate the other half. It went into Lyle's care package :)
PB Cap 'n Cruch
Marshmallows
Butter
Peanut Butter
Chocolate M&ms
Rating: 10!!

Time to go put a Chicken Potato Chowder in the CrockPot! mmmmm
wow, I sound like an old woman who is obsessed with baking and cooking....sheesh

No comments:

Post a Comment